Friday, August 7, 2009

Even More Vacation Pictures

The waves at Jekyll Island were the hardest thing to figure out. My family (aside from me - I take a passel of books and a comfy lawn chair) loves to body surf. At times the waves were quite calm and it wasn't really possible to do any body surfing. But when the waves were big - they were very, very big. And Rough. Alex got tossed once and ended up with a huge sand burn on her belly.

Look at these waves! They weren't like some beaches where you get one good one, then a few small ones, then another good one. These were rolling in, one after the other. If you weren't prepared for them you were tossed. I saw more bare bottoms from surprised wave riders than I cared to see. There were actully people surfing one day.





I took this video as the waves were waning but they were still pretty good. Anthony was still enjoying them.

When the tide was in, the waves went all the way to the rocks at the sand dunes. We had to put our stuff on the rocks to keep it from getting washed away. After a couple of days, we figured out that the best waves to play in were the waves right after high tide. We/they made sure to be there as high tide was peaking and then we/they had several hours of really good fun. When the waves starting easing up a bit the kids had a contest to see who could find the most sand dollars. The last day we were there the count was around 85. We did have Alex with us so you can be sure we didn't keep the live sand dollars. If they are alive they have "hairs" on the edges and if they are dead they are smooth. Several other sand dollar hunters got "the look" from Al when they had their hands full of live sand dollars. I love that about her.




Oh, look who went with us!! I think this is the only picture I'm in...


I still have lots-o-pictures from the beach. Sorry, I took MANY...


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment