Friday, November 27, 2009

These Men

I have so many wonderful memories of holidays from when I was young. They include warm houses, the smell of good food, and the buzz of many people talking at once. I want my kids to have these same wonderful memories but what it seems like they are getting is a kitchen that has been turned upside down, chaos, rushing, and running from one place to the next. I want so terribly bad for them to have the same memories I had. We (I) try so hard to fabricate these moments and the perfectness of the holiday that I almost miss it in the feverish attempt to produce it. This year that moment came when Tony's Papaw came to Thanksgiving dinner at my parents house. This, in itself, was not so unusual but he brought a DVD that he wanted us to watch. I have to admit that the thought crossed my mind that I didn't particularly want to watch this DVD on Thanksgiving. "I wonder how long it is?" "I wonder what it is about?" "Maybe just the men will go down to the den to watch it." Shame on me! It has produced one of my all time favorite holiday memories.
This sweet gentleman...
is a World War II Veteran.
In the town where we live there are several businesses who sponsor a trip to Washington, D.C. - called Honor Air. This trip is only for the Veterans and it's free of charge to them. These businesses collect donations and charter an airplane to make this round trip. They left around 8 in the morning and returned around 8 or 9 that night. When they left the airport in Knoxville, they got a heroes send-off. There were people lined up with flags and balloons and a few speeches were made. When they arrived in Washington, D.C. they were greeted with a heroes welcome with a band playing, and another large group of people to shake their hands or hug their necks.
During the course of the day, they visited the memorials for each of the branches of the Armed Services. They also went to the Iwo Jima Memorial, Vietnam Wall, Korean War Memorial, Abraham Lincoln Memorial, and the World War II Memorial. They drove by many other sites of interest but these were their destinations for the day.
What struck me so fully while watching this video was the raw emotion still so evident in these men. These men who are now in their 80's and were still crying for lost friends and comrades, these men who were talking about the real heroes being the ones who didn't come home, and these men who enjoyed spending time with other Veteran's. These men, who are sometimes overlooked because of their age and increasing feeble nature, and who are sometimes ridiculed for being old or "old fashioned" are the very brave men who, 70 years ago, had our freedom in their hands. Their very capable, strong, and unshaking hands. And they delivered. So, who am I to not want to spend 30 minutes watching a video that encompasses a large part of our history and his history that he wanted to share with me? I should have been THANKFUL that he wanted to share that video with me and my family. And I will try to be from now on.

He had a little trouble keeping his eyes open for the pictures. Trying a little too hard, huh?


Three generations: one Army, one Air Force, and the other one - we're not sure yet - but his Momma hopes his stent in the Boy Scouts will suffice... Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment