Saturday, April 4, 2009

My FIrst Track Meet

I have finally attended my first track meet that was held at Lenoir City Middle School. This is Anthony's first time running track and he really enjoys it. He "does" the long jump, the 800 (1/2 mile), and the mile. I have a new appreciation for him - I was winded carrying my chair to the other end of the track. It's an adjustment to me getting used to a sport with no score board but they do keep a tally of the points and there is an overall winner - so I can relate.


The one thing that was confusing to me, though, was in the open 800, they pull the fastest runner from each school out to the front and give them a head start. This troubles me. I think to be fair you would pull the slowest runner to the front for the head start. It is not much of a head start but it is 6 or 8 feet and every little bit helps.


Not only is it encouraging to see SO MANY kids in shape enough to run these distances but I was tickled to see their sportsmanship. When the kids from different schools were lined up beside each other they were chattin' and telling each other good luck.


So, aside from the wind and the rain I am gonna love the track meets and can't wait to go to another one.
















Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment