Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dowsing


On Sunday afternoon, Anthony, Alex, Holly, Sy, and Kendra learned how to dowse. What, you might ask, is dowsing? Dowsing is a way to find underground water using "dowsing sticks." Don't ask me how this works but it does. (Sounds like a good science fair project!) They used two long metal sticks with an L-shaped bend in the end. Holding it lightly in their hands they began walking. When they got close to a water source the sticks slowly started to drift towards each other. When they crossed, they were directly over the water source.




I was a little skeptical so I had to try it myself. I thought since they knew where the water source was that they were letting the sticks cross. It really surprised me but you can feel a definite pull on the sticks when you start getting close to the water. You should try this!!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had success with dowsing! I've also tried it, but unfortunately, no luck. My historical mystery is set in Depression era Colorado and is about a widow who vows to save her brother from a murder conviction by using her talent as a dowser. It's titled CAST THE FIRST STONE and can be purchased through Amazon, Barnes and Noble.com or requested at a library. Thought you might be interested!

    ReplyDelete