Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Retirement

Yesterday, Alex and I accompanied my dad and mom to his retirement party at work. We had lunch in their cafeteria with Shane and Bear. Guys, my apologies - I didn't get a picture of you three together!


It has been a hard decision for my dad to decide whether he wanted to retire or not but he finally decided to do it. It was somewhat of a bittersweet day. These are men that he has spent 8 hours a day with, many times 12 hours a day, every day, often Saturday and Sunday as well. Not only are they his co-workers but they are his friends. You know, there IS a difference between a co-worker and a friend - anyone can be a co-worker but not everyone can be a friend.




They had made him this nice blanket with an iron on picture and had all of his friends sign it.



There were a few funny stories told on him - but in the end, what happens at the lab, stays at the lab.





We heard about funny bantering that took place every morning.

There was a gag gift.

He always jokes that my mom won't even let him drive by Hooters, so they got him a Hooters calendar. It was a calendar with portraits of twelve BEAUTIFUL... owls.

There also were some very sincere comments made. This man especially could have brought a tear to my eye had I let him. This is Bear - he served as one of our hosts for the day.


Some of these men I felt like I knew but had never seen before. I had talked to them on the phone, I had swapped e-mails with them, and heard lots of stories about them and their families - especially this man, Price. Now I have a face to put with the name.



Aaron is another one that I had heard lots about. These two became good friends while they worked together before Aaron moved to another department.



Alex and per Papaw.

These are some of his friends who had previously retired and came back for his retirement party. I have known them since I was born, I think.
I was certainly glad I was able to go with him for this special day. I will remember it always and be grateful for the opportunity to share it with him. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment