Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

About a year after we moved into our house I decided I wanted a big stately Magnolia tree in our yard. On Mother's Day Tony and the kids got one for me. Quite a ways to go to get to stately, huh? I decided that I would take Anthony and Alex's picture in front of it every year on Mother's Day to chart both the growth of the tree and the kids. I think I actually did this for a few years but I can't find those pictures. Here is their picture the first year. Poor wimpy tree....



Anthony and Alex in 2009 on Mother's Day.




The tree is getting much bigger - and so are they.



While I am showing you this picture with the weeping willow trees in the background I should tell you their story...
I had been wanting a weeping willow tree but am not very good at "starting" them off of clippings from another tree. My brother had gotten a "start" off the weeping willow tree that belonged to my grandmother's parents and was growing on their farm. Naturally, that is the willow tree that I wanted. One day Mammy and I went to get starts off of my brother's tree and we were sneaking to do it. We made Anthony and Alex think that anyway. They thought we were on a secret mission to steal his tree. We parked on the bank of his pond and Mammy showed me where to cut the branches from - we were all sneaky-like. We got in the car and almost made our escape when my brother got home from work. Mammy turned around to the kids in their car seats and said, "Shhhhh!, hide the branches yall have." They were trying not to grin and trying to hide their branches when my brother walked over to the car to say hi. Anthony spilled his guts!! "Uncle John John, we're stealing your trees!!!!" and popped the branches out where he could see them...
Mammy showed me how to plant them - we planted several starts hoping to get one that would live. Well, we got three and they are beautiful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment